... didn't happen! lol! We had plans to go up to Austria for the weekend a couple weeks ago; had the hotel booked; plans made; bags packed... then we woke up to this:

SNOW! This may not seem like much for some of you, but for us it was a BIG deal! And for where we live... well, this is not normal winter weather, lol! The kids thought it was absolutely fantastic, and even though it was still dark out and not even 7am, they had to go outside and play. Here is Ashton on our trampoline:

Well, after a lot of phone calls between all of us that were supposed to be driving up to Austria together, and a lot of stressful decision making... I headed out to our meeting spot. I didn't make it! I slid on the road, DID NOT crash, but scared myself so bad that I pulled over and refused to drive any further! Now, I admit it, I am a big fat wuss when it comes to driving in the snow. After all, it wasn't even that bad compared to some places, and our truck has 4-wheel drive, but it had just started snowing that night and the roads hadn't been cleared or salted and everything was slippery. I made a couple phone calls and our friends ended up driving our truck. In case you were wondering, David had to work so he wasn't going to be able to come to Austria, that's why he wasn't driving. So we finally got on the road and about an hour (or two) of driving in this:

And this:

And this:

We had to turn around and head back home! The Autostrada had been closed down in an area we needed to drive through because of an accident with some Semi trucks, and we decided that our trip really just wasn't going to happen. It was OK though! We ended up picking up David (who got the afternoon and evening off work because of the snow) and having dinner with our friends then staying over at their house that night. We still had a great time, and we loved the snow! Maybe we'll go to Austria in the Spring when everything is in bloom and it's warm. It is definitely one of our must see places while living here in Europe.
Be Blessed!
6 comments:
Aw man! When I saw you the other day I forgot to ask you about this!! I really hope you all get to go soon! And I'm sure you will go before you leave lol. We will go back for sure! We need to get together some time!
Love the snow pics:-)
That sounds like the kind of adventure that you'll always remember! Hope you get to Austria in the Spring -- it sounds like it would be beautiful.
Have a great New Year's!
Awww boooo.. LOL! You tricked us. I was looking forward to your adventure. A few friends and I are doing the Soung of Music tour Mar 7-8 (right around my Birthday) I am so excited to do it. Hopefully you all will be able to go again soon!
Oh man, I'm sorry that all that snow threw a kink in your plans... yet another reason why I'm not a huge fan of the white stuff, it makes traveling such an ordeal!
Hope you get a second chance to visit Austria come spring! :)
Well I'd say the snow was worth the cancelled trip, right? ;) I can't wait to see pics from your trip in the spring!
Happy New Year!!
Wow! This reminds me of our Germany days when you were small, you and J love planning in the snow.
xoxox M
Post a Comment