Thursday, June 11, 2009

It Exploded!!!

So, Tuesday night I won a bottle of wine at the ACES (Aviano Community Enlisted Spouses) meeting and last night I decided to open it and have a glass. Well, look what happened! It exploded! It sounded like a gun went off and glass and wine went EVERYWHERE!!! Luckily I didn't get cut, but there were little shards of the bottle all over the kitchen; not to mention wine sprayed all over the walls! I know I wasn't pressing down too hard so I think something happened during the bottling of the wine causing a weak spot in the bottle. I don't know, but it was crazy! Anyway, I needed to make some birthday cards for some ACES members, and here's my first one:
This one is for a lady who's birthday was last month. I paper pieced the hippo and the balloons and drew the strings for the balloons to be tied to the hippo's tail. Here's a pic to show you the dimension in my paper piecing:
Well, after I left the card on the desk for a little while, I went back and it didn't look done. Do you ever do that? Walk away from a project and come back later for a fresher perspective? I ended up making a frame by just drawing straight lines around the edge of the card:

I feel like it gives the card it's finishing touch.
Last Thursday I participated in my first Twisted Thursday Challenge and guess what? I won! Yeah, it was a random draw, but still!!! I participated again this week and here is the card I made:I admit it, it's not my best work. I'm not entirely happy with it, but this is as good as this card is going to get. I followed the sketch, only I turned it on its side. The Twist this week is to have some purple in the card, and purple is one of the hardest colors for the to incorporate. I actually made the hippo card AFTER this one, and that purple worked out just fine! Maybe my mojo was on a little break...
One more thing before I sign off, sheck out this BLOG CANDY at Michelle O's blog! OMWord I want it!!!
Well, that's all for now. The boys are officially on summer break, but the weather isn't cooperating so we've been in the house! I hope the summer weather shows itself soon.
Until next post, be blessed.

3 comments:

Justine said...

That is Horrible, did you get a glass of vino?? I love the hippo card, too cute. He needs a sentiment "Do these balloons make my butt look big".....
Hugz,

Denise said...

Cute cards, like the way you popped the elephant one up. Glad no one got hurt from that bottle.

JenRaff said...

The hippo card is adorable! Sometimes the simple ones are better than overdoing it.
Hope your weather improves. It must be a lot of fun to explore and live in new areas.